Purebredbreeders.com reviews some of the most notable dogs throughout history.
- Lassie (whose original name is Pal) first starred in the 1942 movie ‘Lassie Come Home’ and starred in seven movies between 1943 and 1951. Pal’s descendants continue to play Lassie even today.
- In 1988, Israeli Special Forces sent two Rottweilers, Blue and Brown, on a suicide mission carrying bombs to enemy bunkers in Lebanon.
- In the Middle Ages, dogs also went to war outfitted in armor.
- Balto, was a Siberian Husky that led his team 650 miles and through a blizzard in 1925. The team was sent carrying dipetheria serum to prevent a disease outbreak when the only aircraft that could deliver the medicine had been frozen.
- Laika was the first living creature to travel in space. She was aboard the Russian satellite, Sputnik 2 and was sent on the mission, not expected to return.
- Rin Tin Tin is a German shepherd who became one of the most famous canine movie stars. He was in 19 movies before he passed in 1932.
- Saur or Suening was “king” of Norway for the 3 years during the 11th century. The king, angry because he had once been overthrown, put the dog on the throne and demanded he get regal treatment.
For more article where Purebredbreeders.com reviews dogs’ roles in history, check out this one: